The DESIGN by DATA Mastère Spécialisé® Advanced Master program (accredited by La Conférence des Grandes Écoles) provides attendees with a cross-disciplinary culture of computational design and comprehensive knowledge of cutting-edge technologies in the fields of parametric architecture, robotics, digital manufacturing and 3D printing for the construction industry. The course is designed for a selected group of architects, engineers, designers and digital artists and offering a variety of courses, fabrication and prototyping workshops, conferences, digital talks and networking events. The program takes place in a number of locations in Paris and is a real opportunity to enter an international ecosystem of architectural innovation.
"The Design by Data Mastère Spécialisé® - Advanced Master in Computational Design, Digital Manufacturing and Building Technologies represents a unique experience to explore the blurring boundaries between art, architecture and engineering"
Computational designer and co-founder of VOLUMES, a collaborative space in Paris including a coworking, a maker space and a foodlab. Francesco Cingolani teaches computational design and parametric architecture in different design and architecture schools and digital arts centres. He strives to push forward the idea of design as a process without boundaries, merging art, social sciences and collaborative cultures.
Innovation in a dynamic learning environment
DESIGN by DATA has three main goals:
- providing participants with a solid knowledge of innovative digital cultures and computational tools based on both technical skills and artistic sensibility.
- giving students a broad set of expertise to take advantage of new technologies in manufacturing and digital fabrication (CNC prototyping, 3D printing, industrial fabrication, aerial robotics, etc.).
- encouraging a process-oriented approach to design based on theory of genetic optimisation and the use of environmental data in architecture.
- INNOVATION: the digital revolution is changing our way of using and thinking about objects and spaces: enter the world of non-standard design and evolutive architecture.
- TRANS-DISCIPLINARITY: learn how to use computation and data to drive your design in architecture, urbanism, engineering and the digital arts.
- LEARN BY DOING: an augmented learning process based on ongoing alternation between theory, design applications and prototyping.
- NETWORK THINKING: embrace collaborative cultures and join an international network of architectural innovation. Enter both the coolest creative hubs in Paris and one of the most prestigious engineering schools in the world.
At the end of the training, graduates will:
- have the know-how to innovate their design workflow using a computational and collaborative approach towards architecture and engineering
- have a complete understanding of tools for digital design and robotic manufacturing
- design, manage and build non-standard objects and complex geometries
"In her words"
Célia Bugniot, graduate of the Design by Data Advanced Master 2018 session
Your career prospects
The program prepares graduates for a number of high-level positions in architectural design with a strong emphasis on digital innovation, computational robotics and manufacturing. Graduates of the program may qualify for positions in architectural offices, urban design studios, construction firms specialized in complex geometry, robotics and digital fabrication, graphic design, art studios, consulting innovation firms, 3D printing platforms and software development companies.
Holders of this program will pursue the following careers, from amongst others
- Project Manager
- Computational Designer
- Façade consultant
- Structural engineer expert in complex geometry
- Fablab Director
- Chief Design Officer
- Interaction Designer
- Robot and Drone Designer
Aymeric de la Bachelerie, from HDA (one of the Program Partner)