You have access to the engineering program at École des Ponts ParisTech, either on an integrated additional course or in the Masters program, as a civil engineering student or engineering student in the Corps des Ponts, des Eaux et des Forêts (public works, water and forestry).
X - civil engineer
If you are a fourth-year student at the École Polytechnique, you can join École des Ponts ParisTech on an integrated additional course or in the Masters program.
The two curriculum possibilities
The School offers a 21 month curriculum: 5 months supervised study (end of third year research internship at X) and 16 months at the School under the integrated additional training system (FCI).
The School also offers a two-year dual curriculum, common to the 2nd and 3rd years of the engineering program.
- Engineering & Architecture: run jointly with École nationale supérieure d’architecture de la ville et des territoires à Marne-la-Vallée (ENSAVT), this dual curriculum is accessible to students registered in the Civil and Structural Engineering Department. Students receive their engineering degree from École nationale des ponts et chaussées and some, after a 2 year extension to their program, also obtained an architecture degree.
- Engineering & Urban Design: this multidisciplinary program provides access to all the urban planning and management professions. After a first year engineering course in the City, Environment and Transportation Department, students follow the 15 month Masters program in “Urban Planning and Development” (AMUR).
These two programs have specific requirements, which require a two-year course of study.
Students submit an application for one of the courses offered by the School’s six faculty departments:
- Civil and Structural Engineering (GCC),
- City, Environment, Transportation (VET),
- Industrial Engineering (GI),
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (GMM),
- Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (IMI),
- Economics, Management, Finance (SEGF).
ENS - Civil Engineering
The application must be approved by the Management of ENS and addressed to the Director of Studies at École nationale des ponts et chaussées before April 15, 2017.
If you are a pupil or student at the Paris, Lyon or Cachan Écoles normales supérieures, you can join École des Ponts ParisTech under agreements between your École normale supérieure and the School.
Depending on your situation and the provisions of the agreement with your institution, you can follow an integrated additional training program lasting two academic semesters, plus an end of course project, or you join École des Ponts in the second year of the engineering program.
These courses lead to a degree in engineering from École nationale des ponts et chaussées.
Students from the Écoles normales supérieures are admitted on the basis of an application and interview.
X, ENS – IPEF corps
Recruitment is based on exit ranking from the École polytechnique, or on a special examination open to students who:
- Are completing their third or fourth year in a scientific section of an École normale supérieure (Ulm, Cachan, and Lyon);
- Are in their final year of school, preparing for an engineering degree at AgroParisTech;
- Are in their final year of school preparing for a degree issued by other scientific grandes écoles (École des Ponts ParisTech; the specialist agricultural écoles nationales supérieures of Montpellier, Rennes, Nancy, Toulouse; the specialist veterinary écoles nationales).
There are also dedicated examinations (internal examination, external examination based on selection and work experience, aptitude list) through which engineers who already have experience in a government department or holders of PhDs can join the Corps des Ponts, des Eaux et des Forêts.